The days of setting your out of office reply and not looking back while on vacation seemed to have fallen by the wayside. But you can take some important steps toward making sure your work items are “buttoned up” enough to enjoy your vacation getaway! If you are planning a vacation in the near future and find it a necessity to stay connected with your clients and office while you’re away, you should consider the following:
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
- Block off your calendar well in advance.
- Let all your colleagues and clients know that you will be gone with a pre-vacation postcard. Have your marketing assistant (which may be YOU) create a postcard style template announcing your vacation dates and who to contact in your absence. (NOTE: Publisher has some great templates you can add your info to.)
- Seek help from your colleagues. This may be easy if you work in a team setting, otherwise solicit help from your broker and/or familiar colleague.
- If you are on Exchange Server, you may choose to set the Out of Office Assistant. This feature allows you to create an auto reply to all your emails while you are away. To learn more about hosted exchange, click here for 1 & 1′s hosted plans.
TAKE ME WITH YOU!
- Cell Phone/PDA Device & Charger
Know any agents who leave home without their phone? I didn’t think so. Just remember to bring your charger. Also, make sure to check for your charger before your check out!
You can use it on the plane or even at the beach! Download vacation photos from your digital camera to view and share. If you must, do a little light catch-up work.
- Wireless Internet
Check with your hotel before you leave. Most resorts have various Internet capabilities available in your room. If not, and you must check in with the office/or clients…then do it poolside with using a wireless internet connection and Strawberry Daiquiri in hand! You can get a wireless Internet card and data plan from your local cell phone provider. I favor Verizon.
- Digital Camera
Make sure you take plenty of great pictures…they’ll be your motivation for the next big trip when you are back at work!
RE EXTREME: Items for those of us who would like to be on Survivor!
- Survival Kit In A Sardine Can- A water tight, crush proof, and floatable kit containing a wide array of survival gear for outdoor enthusiasts. Click here to see more.
- Binocatch 4×28 Digital USB Binoculars- Get a closer look and take a picture too! These USB binoculars provide 4x magnification with a built-in camera that can be used to capture magnified stills or video. Click here to see more.
- Voltaic Solar Daypack- Keep your mobile phone, camera, MP3 player or PDA charged up while you’re on the go. This backpack has waterproof solar panels that can provide a steady 2A current to recharge many small electronic devices. Includes 12 standard adapters including a USB type A port and a 12V car charger socket, a rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack, and 12V DC and 110V AC battery charging cords. Click here to see more.
Helpful Vacation Checklists: